Thinking about renting a storage unit? You might need to use long term storage to store furniture or your appliances. No matter what you reason for choosing storage, the following cheap long term storage tips would help ensure successful storage for all kinds of items.
Long term storage tips
- It’s necessary to use sturdy boxes when it comes to long term storage. The sturdier the boxes the better it is. Things can stay protected from the outside element. Pus these boxes keep things from becoming covered in dust.
- Avoid using plastic to pack in things. Plastic tends to cause moisture buildup which could ruin things in the long run.
- Fragile items should be wrapped carefully in newspapers or bubble wraps. Once the items are placed in a box make sure to put in extra wrapping to offer more protection.
- Always label the boxes. Also keep an inventory of all the things kept in the storage. Keep one copy with you while the other copy should be placed in the storage container as well.
- When storing appliances make sure you clan all of these properly. All stains should be removed and dirt and debris cleared out. Once you are satisfied then only put the appliances in the boxes. This is because if you dot clean up the mess, it’s only going to get worse while in storage. Some stains become permanent and become difficult to remove. This can also cause discolouration of the appliances as well.
- Also make sure to put items on palettes or shelving units well above the ground. This can allow air to circulate and keep things free from moisture buildup.
- When placing furniture in storage, make sure it’s vacuumed properly and free of dust. Also polish the furniture so that mould doesn’t catch onto it while it’s kept in storage.
- Cover all upholstery in 100% white cotton sheets. Avoid using coloured sheets because the colour might bleed into the upholstery while the items are in storage and there is a great deal of humidity inside the storage unit.
Ensuring that all things are stored perfectly would ensure that these stay good as new. Just because you are keeping things in storage doesn’t mean you have to compromise on the quality once they are out of storage. Keeping all the above in mind ensures that your things stay in the same condition they were before the storage.
When choosing long term storage for your items keep in mind the following things
- Choose storage units which are large and airy. This is necessary especially if you are looking for long term storage.
- Sometimes it helps in investing more and paying for a climate controlled storage unit.
- Feel free to ask the providers how they can allow you to keep appliances good as new when placed in storage containers
- Last but not the least choose someone who is reliable by checking out their website and reading reviews left by previous clients.